You are here
GRAINS-Wheat firms as much as 1 percent as cold weather hits U.S.
SYDNEY, March 21 (Reuters) - U.S. wheat rose as much as 1
percent on Friday as cold weather across key producing regions
in the United States stoked concerns about production losses.
* The most active wheat contract on the Chicago Board of
Trade climbed 0.7 percent to $4.66-1/4 a bushel, having
closed up 0.1 percent on Friday.
* The most active soybean futures fell 0.33 percent to
$8.94-1/2 a bushel, after ending little changed on Friday.
* The most active corn futures fell 0.13 percent to
$3.66-1/2 a bushel, having finished down 0.41 percent in the
* Wheat was drawing support as extreme cold weather hits
Kansas and Oklahoma - two major U.S. producing regions.
* Soybean prices were buoyed as the Brazilian real
strengthened, increasing the appeal of U.S. supplies.
* India canceled a tender to import 240,000 tonnes of corn,
hoping for a bigger-than-expected local summer harvest and
following uncertainty over the availability of non-genetically
modified corn, trade and government sources said.
* But the country may import wheat for the first time in a
decade as persistent rain and hailstorms could cut India's wheat
crop by at least 14 percent, an industry body said on Friday.
* The dollar stayed on the defensive early on Monday, having
extended its losses for a third week in the wake of dovish
signals from the Federal Reserve.
* Crude oil slid for a second session on Monday, falling
further from last week's 2016 highs on concerns over a supply
glut after the U.S. rig count rose for the first time since
DATA AHEAD (GMT)
0900 Euro zone Current account Jan
1230 U.S. National activity index Feb
1400 U.S. Existing home sales Feb
1500 Euro zone Consumer confidence Mar
Grains prices at 0055 GMT
Contract Last Change Pct chg Two-day chg MA 30 RSI
CBOT wheat 466.25 3.25 +0.70% +0.81% 464.83 55
CBOT corn 366.50 -0.50 -0.14% -0.54% 364.37 63
CBOT soy 894.50 -3.00 -0.33% -0.36% 880.37 74
CBOT rice $10.50 $0.04 +0.43% -0.47% $10.77 59
WTI crude $38.99 -$0.45 -1.14% -3.01% $33.84 62
Euro/dlr $1.127 $0.001 +0.06% -0.38%
USD/AUD 0.759 -0.001 -0.14% -0.78%
Most active contracts
Wheat, corn and soy US cents/bushel. Rice: USD per hundredweight
RSI 14, exponential
(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Joseph Radford)
© Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Click For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp