Marketing Options for Duracade Hybrids
With an increasing concern over western corn rootworms (CRW) showing resistance to other rootworm traits already available in the market, many corn farmers have been looking forward to the release of Duracade. Agrisure Duracade was developed by Syngenta as a new CRW trait with two-trait stack protection for above- and below-ground insects in corn.
Latham Hi-Tech Seeds is launching a limited release three hybrid corn products with Duracade because we believe in providing farmers with options. However, there are a few extra hoops growers must jump through when planting Duracade this season. Like many GMO products released before Duracade, it has not received regulatory approval in China and the European Union.
Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), Bunge, Cargill and Consolidated Grain and Barge (CGB) announced they will not accept Duracade until it receives export approval. While this has created the flurry of press recently, channeling grain to avoid export markets is not new to the industry. Stewardship guidelines provide several grain marketing options includign certain domestic elevators, feed mills, feed lots and ethanol plants or for the grower to feed it on his farm.
Additionally, Syngenta has teamed up with Gavilon Grain, LLC to form a new program called the “Right to Grow.” Gavilon will accept Agrisure Duracade at market price while providing stewardship and distribution services if grain marketing assistance is needed. For more information on the “Right to Grow” program visit www.agrisureduracade.com or a Latham Representative.
Latham Seeds is dedicated to providing growers choice, and we’re also very dedicated to trait stewardship. That’s why we’re making the following recommendations:
- We believe Duracade is a good option for growers, who want to control western corn rootworm.
- We will have Duracade products available for our growers this spring.
- We recommend talking to your grain outlet to see if it will accept the grain this fall before you take delivery and plant Duracade products this spring.
- We will allow you to exchange Latham® hybrids you’ve ordered with Duracade for different Latham products.
- Latham will provide additional information concerning channeling and distribution as it becomes available.
We understand how challenging it can be to track what products are approved, which ones aren’t and what trait you really need. Our staff and Regional Sales Managers are trained to answer these questions. Please do not assume that what you hear in the coffee shop is correct. Call your Latham Seeds representative and your grain handler for the real information.