Home on the Range Burger
Prep: 30 minutes Grill: 14 minutes Stand: 30 minutes Servings: 6
1/2 cup finely chopped Granny Smith apple
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon Jamaican jerk seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper or cayenne pepper
1-1/2 pounds uncooked ground bison
6 slices Texas toast or 3/4-inch-thick slices rustic Italian bread
1/4 cup butter, melted
Red-tipped leaf lettuce
Cantaloupe and Strawberry Relish (recipe follows)
1. In a medium saucepan, cook apple, celery, and onion in hot oil over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is tender. Remove from heat; let cool to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, combine apple mixture, ketchup, Jamaican jerk seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Add bison; mix well. Shape mixture into six 3/4-inch-thick patties.
3. For a charcoal grill: Grill patties on a well-oiled rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 14 to 18 minutes or until no longer pink (160°F.), turning once halfway through grilling. For a gas grill: Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on the well-oiled rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.
4. Place toast on hot grill during the last 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned and toasted on both sides. Brush slices on both sides with melted butter.
5. Place Texas toast slices on 6 dinner plates. Top with leaf lettuce, burgers, and some of the Cantaloupe and Strawberry Relish.
Cantaloupe and Strawberry Relish: In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup chopped cantaloupe (or peeled fresh or thawed frozen peaches); 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries; 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion; 2 tablespoons finely chopped green sweet pepper; 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro; 2 teaspoons snipped fresh mint; 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or lime peel; and 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice. Toss lightly to mix. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Or cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.)
Nutrition facts per serving: 562 calories, 36 g total fat (14 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 604 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein, 10 g sugar. Daily values: 51% vitamin A, 59% vitamin C, 12% calcium, 28% iron.