Whole Wheat Rolls
Rise: 1 hr 30 min total | Bake: 20 min at 375°
1/3 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/4-ounce envelope active dry yeast
4 tablespoons flax seeds (regular or golden)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup warm skim milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg white, lightly beaten
Poppy and/or sesame seeds, optional
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the warm water and honey. Stir yeast into the water mixture and let stand until foamy, about 7 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place 3 tablespoons of the flax seeds in a mini chopper or spice grinder. Grind until medium-fine. Transfer to a large bowl and add all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Whisk to blend, then make a well in the center of the mixture.
3. In a small bowl, stir together milk, olive oil and salt. Pour into well of flour mixture, along with yeast mixture. Stir until dough comes together. Knead until smooth, 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp, clean towel and allow to rise 45 minutes. Punch down dough, then knead lightly. Divide into 16 pieces, then roll each into ball, tucking any seams under. Place on a large nonstick baking sheet and cover with damp towel. Let rise in warm place for 45 minutes.
5. Heat oven to 375°. Uncover dough, brush rolls with egg white, then sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon flax seeds, or top with sesame seeds or poppy seeds if desired. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes, until lightly browned and hollow-sounding when tapped lightly. Serve warm.
Nutrition information: 162 cal., 3 g Fat, total (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 28 g carb., 229 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 6 g pro.