Apple Corn Cakes
Prep: 25 minutes | Bake: 15 minutes | Cool: 10 minutes
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup shredded cored red cooking apples
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons finely chopped dried figs (about 5 figs)
1 red cooking apple
1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat six 3 1/4- to 3 1/2-inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, lemon peel, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, shredded apple, egg whites, and figs. Add apple mixture to cornmeal mixture. Stir until moistened. Set aside.
3. Core whole apple. Cut horizontally into six rings, each about 1/4 inch thick. Place one ring in each muffin cup, cutting slices to fit if necessary. Spoon cornmeal batter into muffin cups on top of apple slices, filling each about half full.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into cakes comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan whisk together apple juice and cornstarch. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
6. Let cakes cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Transfer muffins to a serving platter. While hot, slowly drizzle cakes with hot apple juice. Serve warm. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition facts per muffin: 133 calories, 1 g total fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 5 g protein.