Happiness is... the 2013 Iowa State Fair
Happiness is . . . is the theme of the 2013 Iowa State Fair, Aug. 8-18. Why? Because there’s so much to see and do!
- Marveling at the butter sculptures.
- Helping fair-goers build connections between food and farming.
- Dipping into a Hot Beef Sundae.
Yes, indeed, happiness is the Iowa State Fair! As a tribute to the fair, we're featuring a 4-H project selected for state from the 2013 Franklin County Fair. Not surprising, this cake was Pinterest-inspired!
Happiness is… homemade cake topped with fresh berries. Bake someone happy this weekend!
Patriotic Berry Cake
Make white cake from scratch, substituting almond flavoring for vanilla. Bake in a 9×13-inch pan. Cut in half lengthwise for easier serving.
- 8-oz. pkg cream cheese
- 1½ c. powdered sugar
- 2 c. whipping cream
- 1 tsp. almond flavoring
- Cream ½ c. sugar and cream cheese with mixer.
- Add whipping cream and remaining sugar. Beat until it looks like cool
whip. (Don’t beat too much or cream will start to form butter lumps.)
- Take 1/3 of mixture and fold in berries of choice.
- Spread berry-frosting mixture on bottom cake and stack the other cake half on top.
- Then frost entire cake.
- Finally, decorate with raspberries, blueberries, and sliced almonds – all arranged to resemble flowers.
- Chill until served.