Prep: 30 minutes | Bake: 40 minutes Stand: 10 minutes | Oven: 400°F.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beef both
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 cups (20 oz.) cubed cooked lamb or beef
- 1 16-oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen small whole onions, thawed and drained
- 3-1/2 cups prepared mashed potatoes (use leftover or purchased refrigerated or frozen mashed potatoes)
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven melt butter; stir in flour, thyme, and pepper. Stir in broth and milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in meat, vegetables, and onions. Transfer to a 3-quart casserole. Spoon mashed potatoes around the edge.
2. Bake, uncovered, in a 400°F. oven for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until bubbly and potatoes are brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
To tote: Do not let stand after baking. Cover tightly. Transport in an insulated carrier. Makes eight servings.
Nutrition facts per serving: 377 calories, 16 g total fat, (9 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 578 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein
For questions, write to:
Paula Barbour, SF Food Editor
1716 Locust Street/LS257
Des Moines, IA 50309-3023
Hometown Potluck Favorites
This cookbook, created to help raise money for the Iowa 4-H Foundation, has full-color photos of each of the 190 tried-and-true family-style recipes. Also included are make-ahead tips and carrying instructions. Price: $14.95, plus shipping and handling. To order, call 800/678-5752 or visit www.farmhomecollection.com.