Cranberry-Raspberry Spinach Salad
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
(1) 10 ounce package frozen red raspberries in syrup, thawed
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup cranberry-raspberry juice cocktail
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
(1) 10 ounce package fresh spinach, stems removed and torn
1/3 cup broken walnuts
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1. For dressing, in a blender container or food processor bowl cover and blend or process raspberries till smooth; strain through a sieve to remove seeds. Discard seeds.
2. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in strained raspberries, the berry drink, vinegar, celery seeds, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Transfer to nonmetal container. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
3. To serve, in a salad bowl toss together spinach, walnuts, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and green onions. Drizzle with half of the dressing. (Cover and chill remaining dressing in a nonmetal container for up to a week to use in other vegetable or fruit salads.)
Nutrition facts: Servings Per Recipe 6, Calories 211, Protein (gm) 4, Carbohydrate (gm) 39, Fat, total (gm) 6, Saturated fat (gm) 1, Monosaturated fat (gm) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (gm) 4, Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 4, Sugar, total (gm) 23, Sodium (mg) 65, Potassium (mg) 341, Calcium (DV %) 71, Iron (DV %) 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.