You are here
New Generation of Deere Horses
Deere Test Center
The New Generation was gestated and born in an empty grocery store in downtown Waterloo, Iowa (Deere’s first product engineering center, or PEC). But it cut its teeth on the company’s test farm outside that town. Today, the PEC is located at that test farm and features some of the most advanced agricultural equipment in the world.
Built between 1961 and 1965, the compact Model 1010 was rated at 35 PTO horsepower and was sold with either a four-cylinder gas or diesel engine. This little tractor, described by Deere as a “compact” tractor, was promoted as providing “A man’s work at a boy's pay."
The 2010, built from 1961 to 1965, could be ordered as a row-crop tractor, as a row-crop utility, or high-clearance “Hi-Crop" model. The 2010 was sold with Deere’s Syncro-Range transmission, which provided eight forward and three reverse speeds. Engine selections included a four-cylinder gas, diesel, or LP-gas power plant.
3010 Row Crop
In production for two years beginning in 1961, the 3010 was offered in a row-crop version (as seen here in this very first 3010 row-crop built) as well as standard and row-crop utility versions with the choice of a diesel, gas, or LP-gas four-cylinder engine.
The standard or row-crop utility version of the 3010 was identical in every way and any offering to the row crop save for the wide front axle. The engine in the 3010s featured an exclusive engine balancer that consisted of two sets of gears driven by the crankshaft and rotated in opposite directions at twice the speed of the engine.
4010 Row Crop
The row crop version of the 4010 (the tractor pictured is the very first 4010 built) offered narrow-front steering. Otherwise, it was identical to the other 4010 versions, which also included standard axle and high-crop versions with a choice of gas, diesel, or LP-gas engine.
The big boy of the line, the 121 PTO-horsepower Model 5010, was built from 1963 to 1965, and it was one of the largest row-crop tractors of its time. The 5010 featured the Deere Quik-Coupler three-point hitch that allowed farmers to attach implements without leaving the tractor seat.
The 8010 foretold of the New Generation when it came on the market in 1960, one year prior to the New Generation’s introduction. The four-wheel-drive tractor was equipped with a 215-horsepower six-cylinder, 426-cubic-inch engine built by General Motors.
In 1953, the top brass at John Deere came to the conclusion that reliance on a two-cylinder engine was coming to an end. A new era of tractors was born.