Ask Machinery Pete: A good deal?
Question posed to me on our Machinery Pete Facebook page this week:
“Pete, what is a 4040 JD original, open platform with 7,000 hours worth? Local farmer has it. Asking $12,500. Comparing to repainted rebuilt White 2-105 with matching White loader on it, looks and drives like new for $14,000, ag mechanic owned.” - Ed W.
“Ed, $12,500 would be a good buy I think.” Then I offered a link to the last (131) JD 4040 tractors I’ve seen sold at auction.
Click on the link and you’ll see examples of JD 4040’s with 8,000+ hours in fair to good condition selling at auctions around the U.S. and Canada the last 18 months for $11,200, $14,000 and $17,000, so yes, I think $12,500 is a fair asking price and a fair price to pay.
Click on the link to the auction sale price data I’ve compiled on JD 4040 tractors and you’ll also these gems:
- 7/13/11 sale, west-central MN, 1981 4040, 2,892 hours, sold $24,000
- 2/26/10 sale, northeast MO, 1979 4040, 1,890 hours, sold $22,000
- 3/6/10 sale, north-central OK, 1980 4040, 2,156 hours, sold $32,500
- 2/18/09 sale, south-central MN, 1980 4040, 1,458 hours, sold $37,000
Now you know what really nice, lower hour JD 4040 tractors are worth.
As Ed mentioned in his post on our Facebook page that he was also considering a
White 2-105 tractor (repainted, rebuilt) with a White loader that looks and drives like new, I chimed back in with this for Ed:
“$17K is highest auction price I've seen on a White 2-105 in last 5 years...but it only had 819 hours on it (no Loader). Next highest sale price is $12,200 (2,500 hours).”
I’ve spent nearly 22 years compiling auction sale price data on all types of farm and construction equipment. It’s my continuing hope this data can help you in buy, sell, trade, appraise decisions.
www.Machinerypete.com (1-yr. subscription $69.95; 1-week $10):
- "Auction results" 275,895 sale price on ALL types of equipment. Updated daily
- "Upcoming auctions" free searchable list of equipment on upcoming sales
- "Dealer equip." free searchable list of equipment for sale by dealers
- "Who Makes it?" searchable database of farm equipment Mfg's
- "Classifieds" free place to list your used equipment for sale
- Machinery Pete blog...see what Pete's yakking about
- Machinery Pete's 2010 Auction Price Guide: $19.95, call 800-381-0423
- Pete's new Facebook page
- See the latest Agriculture.com columns from Pete