Grizzly gets some grit
The 2011 Grizzly 450 4×4 with electric power steering packs Yamaha’s top utility ATV features into a mid-level machine. The 450 has many of the same features as big brothers Grizzly 550 and 700.
Here’s a breakdown of its top features.
1. Power. This machine is powered by a 421-cc, liquid-cooled, SOHC four-stroke engine for plenty of torque. The ATV breathes from a 33-mm BSR carburetor, and a durable stainless steel exhaust enhances power delivery while keeping engine noise to a minimum.
2. Electric Power Steering. The electric power steering (EPS) lightens steering, making it easy to maneuver through all types of terrain.
3. Transmission. The Ultramatic automatic transmission system provides smooth power and better-than-average engine braking. The automatic centrifugal clutch, a key feature, maintains constant belt tension so belt wear is reduced. A sprag clutch allows all-wheel downhill engine braking in four-wheel-drive mode. Automatic gear options are high range, low range, reverse, neutral, and park.
4. On-Command. Its three-position on-command in/out four-wheel-drive feature lets you switch between two-wheel drive, limited slip four-wheel drive, and a fully locked differential four-wheel drive – all with the push of a button. The override button allows the engine to make maximum rpm in full differential lock mode.
5. Frame. The 2011 model features a one-piece frame with increased strength and reduced weight along with a new rear anti-sway bar. Even with the addition of EPS, the new frame helps bring down the overall weight of the vehicle by nearly 10 pounds.
6. Comfortable Ride. The Grizzly 450’s plush seat design, full-size floorboards, and oversize fenders make for a comfortable ride. Steel racks featuring a Duragrip finish allow for more than 250 pounds combined cargo capacity (88 pounds in front and 176 pounds in back), and a towing capacity of 1,322 pounds.
7. Suspension. The fully independent long-travel four-wheel suspension features double-wishbone suspension on the front and rear.
8. Wheels. The steel blue model includes cast aluminum wheels.
9. Undercarriage. Ground clearance of 10.8 inches and a high-impact plastic skid plate provide all-terrain ability and undercarriage protection.
10. Panel. The digital instrument panel features a multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odometer, dual trip meter, hour meter, 4WD status, transmission position, and clock.