Technology. It's like chasing a moving target. As soon as you get used to one version, the next one hits the market and tablets are no exception. And with each version comes an array of new features and enhancements. So what's ahead for 2013. Here's a peek into what technology experts are saying is on the horizon for tablets from the International CES Show in Vegas the week of January 7, 2013.
1. Faster processor with longer battery life. This year will bring faster and generally more efficient mobile processors.
2. 4G and WiGig connectivity. Going forward 4G will offer a more reliable connection than 3G. No doubt this means new tablets will be featured with 4G in the future.
We're all familiar with WiFi. But WiGig is positioning itself to replace WiFi in certain places. WiGig is a multi-gigabit speed wireless communications technology, which allows devices to communicate with each other at data transfer rates of up to 7 Gbits. Experts say that's about 10 times faster than 802.1n WiFi.
3. Water resistance. An increasing number of companies are looking into waterproof capabilities.
4. Voice dictation. The way you search on your tablet could be transformed over the next year or so with the rise of voice dictation.
5. Gesture control. The way you control your tablet could change dramatically over the next two years. Today's tablets support multi-touch but the future of the tablet interaction could include gesture control.