Deere 4020 sells for $28K
This is a tale of (4) green tractors, sold on (3) different auctions last Saturday.
Let’s start in southeast Ohio. Auctioneer Doug Leith (www.leithauctions.com) had a farm retirement auction featuring an original 1972 JD 4020 tractor with 3,660 hours. It was a diesel, side console, open station model the owner bought from the first owner when it had just 500 hours on it.
How high do you think it sold?
Auctioneer Doug Leith told me he was hoping it would hit $20K. It sold for $28,000. “We had four or five bidders still in on it up past the mid $20’s,” said Leith. Here’s a pic of this 1972 JD 4020 tractor.
A good example there of the current “premium” buyers are willing to pay for very low hour, good condition used tractors. I saw this firsthand last Saturday. I was in Jordan, MN (south-central Minnesota) to cover a small farm retirement auction by Fahey and Associates, Inc. On this sale were (2) very low hour “1 owner” John Deere tractors: a 1991 4455 2WD with 2,567 hours and a 1998 7210 2WD with 619 hours.
Both tractors sold for new record high auction prices. Here’s YouTube video I shot:
How does that $59,750 sale price on the JD 7210 2WD compare to other sale prices I’ve compiled? Click on the link below for a list of the JD 7210 Tractors I’ve seen sold at auction over the years:
Over in northeast Indiana Saturday, Polk Auction (www.polkauction.com) was on the third day of the annual Spring Collector Tractor Auction. I had one of our new Machinery Pete regional reps on hand to cover the sale and shoot some video for us. Polk Auction sales are always great fun, so interesting to see the rare limited production model tractors hit the auction block. They had one doozey in particular Saturday.
A very rare 1969 JD 2520 gas “high crop” syncro, 1 of only 7 Deere built. It was in “original” condition. Here’s the YouTube video showing it sell:
www.Machinerypete.com (1-yr. subscription $69.95; 1-week $10):
- "Auction results" 301,975 sale price on ALL types of equipment. Updated daily
- "Upcoming auctions" free searchable list of equipment on upcoming sales
- "Dealer equip." free searchable list of equipment for sale by dealers
- "Who Makes it?" searchable database of farm equipment Mfg's
- "Classifieds" free place to list your used equipment for sale
- Machinery Pete blog...see what Pete's yakking about
- Machinery Pete's 2010 Auction Price Guide: $19.95, call 800-381-0423
- Pete's new Facebook page
- See the latest Agriculture.com columns from Pete