$56,000 for a 20-year-old truck?
$56,000 for a 20-year old truck?
Do I even need to say I’ve been seeing auction sale prices rise here lately? Well, I have, specifically since corn and soybean prices shot up back in early August due to the difficult drought conditions this summer. So drought, but rising used equipment values?
At least that is in geographic regions slightly less affected by the drought of 2012. Back to the $56,000 20-year truck I mentioned. I’m speaking of the 1992 Kodiak sold on an August 1, 2012 farm estate auction in southwest Iowa. It had a Cat 3116 engine, 20’ Omaha standard box & hoist, 60-inch sides, roll tarp, twin screw with pusher axle, was always shedded and had only 33,558 miles “1 owner” miles on it.
And it sold for $56,000.
That is the 3rd highest auction sale price I’ve ever seen on a Kodiak truck. Here’s the scoop on the only (2) Kodiaks I’ve seen sold higher at auction:
- $60,500: 8/24/05 farm sale in north-central Iowa, 1994 model, Cat 3116, 7,401 miles
- $67,000: 3/31/00 farm sale in north-central Ohio, 1993 model, Cat 3116, 4,406 miles
Note each of those two Kodiak trucks had hardly any miles on them at all. Click on the
link below to view the last (131) Kodiak trucks I’ve seen sold at auction over the past 15 years:
Oh, thought I might mention that the $56,000 Kodiak probably wasn’t the most eye catching auction sale price on the August 1st farm estate auction in southwest Iowa. I’d reserve that honor to the JD 400 30-foot hyd. fold rotary hoe in “like new” condition sold for $9,100. Haven’t I been yakking for six months or so now about escalating values on very good condition used tillage items?
How high is $9,100 for that JD 400 rotary hoe? Well, a quick check of our www.machinerypete.com website’s “auction results” database found (951) we’ve seen sold at auction going back 16 ½ years. $9,100 is the 2nd highest sale price I’ve ever run across.
By the way, also (2) new record high auction sale prices on John Deere tractors on this same August 1, 2012 farm auction in southwest Iowa:
- 2002 JD 8320 MFWD with 1,052 hours: $149,000
- 1997 JD 8200 2WD with 1,319 hours: $82,500
That makes (6) machinery auctions in Iowa and Minnesota from August 23rd – September 3rd in which new record high or near record high auction sale prices were recorded on various used tractor models. For more specifics go to my blog at www.machinerypete.com, or follow my daily breadcrumb trail by clicking “Like” on our Machinery Pete Facebook page.
- www.Machinerypete.com (1-yr. subscription $69.95; 1-week $10)
- "auction results" 316,804 sale prices on ALL types of equipment. Updated daily
- "upcoming auctions" free searchable list of equipment on upcoming sales
- "dealer equip." free searchable list of equipment for sale by dealers
- "Who Makes it?" searchable database of farm equipment Mfg's
- "Classifieds" free place to list your used equipment for sale
- Machinery Pete blog...see what Pete's yakking about
- Machinery Pete YouTube videos (click on video player image on homepage)
- Pete's new Facebook page (lots of pics & info uploaded daily)
- Machinery Pete's 2011 Auction Price Guide: $19.95, call 800-381-0423