You are here
High used grain trailer values
How much to give?
That was the question young farmer Tim from southwest Minnesota asked me yesterday about the Timpte 40’ grain trailer he’s been looking for a while now. He knows what a basic, no frills new option would run, just a bit over $30,000. He knows from his dealer if he wants to order a new one, it will be 2014 delivery.
So yep, Tim is looking for a good late model used one to buy now.
Therein lies the problem. Just not many machinery auctions around here so far in January 2013. And when a really good condition used grain trailer does show up at auction anywhere around the country, guess what’s been happening going on the last 6 years now?
Rising used values.
I’ve written, blogged and spoken often since 2007 about how auction sale prices have risen on good used grain trailers, grain carts and gravity wagons. So far here in 2013 I’m seeing the same trends hold firm.
A good example was a farm auction January 11, 2013 in northwest Indiana. There were (3) Timpte 40’ grain trailers on that auction, a 2010 model and a pair of 2002’s. They sold very well. The 2010 model went for $32,000, while the 2002’s went for $23,500 and $25,000. The 2010 at $32,000 was the 10th Timpte 40’ I’ve seen sell for $30K or more since December 2007 when commodity prices first surged higher.
The January 11, 2013 northwest Indiana farm auction also had a 2009 Wilson 40’ aluminum hopper bottom grain trailer with roll tarp, the same set up as the Timptes. The 2009 Wilson 40’ sold for $32,500.
Today (January 24, 2013) another Timpte 40’ sold on a very nice farm retirement auction in west-central Ohio. It was a 2009 model. Sale price? $30,000.
This 2009 Timpte 40’ grain trailer with roll tarp sold for $30,000 on a January 24, 2013 farm retirement auction in west-central Ohio.
- www.Machinerypete.com (1-yr. subscription $69.95; 1-week $10)
- "auction results" 329,047 sale prices on ALL types of equipment. Updated daily
- "upcoming auctions" free searchable list of equipment on upcoming sales
- "dealer equip." free searchable list of equipment for sale by dealers
- "Who Makes it?" searchable database of farm equipment Mfg's
- "Classifieds" free place to list your used equipment for sale
- Machinery Pete blog...see what Pete's yakking about