Citing what could be the worst drought in decades, Argentine Agrarian Federation President Eduardo Buzzi called on Argentina's government Monday to suspend export taxes to help struggling farmers.
Buzzi said this is the worst drought he has ever seen and that government aid is needed to help farmers cope with weather that has ravaged the country's corn and soybean crops.
"We have to think about suspending taxes for those few who will be able to harvest," Buzzi said in a radio interview.
Buzzi said the government should consider suspending export taxes, which in some cases total 35%, for 180 days.
The sometimes-combative farm leader said a combination of heat and dry weather has devastated the 2011-2012 corn crop.
"More than 10 million tons of corn will be lost for sure," he said, adding that the agrarian federation is still evaluating the damage.
The Agriculture Ministry said last month that the crop could hit 23 million tons. The crop was about 84% planted as of last week, according to the Buenos Aires Cereals Exchange.
The 2011-2012 soybean crop, which as of last month the ministry had expected to total 48.9 million tons, may not reach 47 million, Buzzi said.
Soybeans are in a better position than corn, he said, noting that the crop still has time to recover from damage.
Around 85% of the soybean crop had been planted by last week, according to the Exchange.
The drought could leave farmers with worsening soil conditions and without financing for next season's crops as well as lead to slower economic growth nationwide, Buzzi said.
"This affects everyone," he said.
-By Taos Turner, Dow Jones Newswires; 5411-4103-6728; taos.turner@dowjones.com
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
January 09, 2012 17:04 ET (22:04 GMT)








