12 best farmland bargains
Check out these deals and get the most bang for your farmland buck!
1. West-Central Texas
- Annual land payment: $50/acre
- Where: Scurry County and surrounding
- Soils: Clay and sandy loam
- Rainfall: 20-24 inches
- Crops: Wheat, hay, pasture
Budget to grow wheat
Costs (excluding land)
- - Chemicals and seed: $111
- - Machinery and fuel: $51
- - Labor, insurance, interest: $14
- 30 bu/acre @ $7.50/bu: $225
- Return to land debt service: $49/acre
Cautions: Dry weather is always an issue here; irrigation is uncommon. Winter/spring grazing of wheat forage may be one possibility for adding more returns per acre.