Old disk nets record price at auction
You never know at an auction.
Last Friday I covered a really nice farm retirement auction in Inwood, IA. What drew me to the sale were two very low hour tractors, a 2005 JD 7820 MFWD with 560 hours and a 2000 JD 9100 4WD with only 750 hours. Both blew away the old record high auction sale prices I’d seen.
But neither of those tractors was the most amazing item sold on last Friday’s auction. That honor, at least in my mind, went to the JD 230 disk. Sounds crazy right? What’s the big deal about a dime a dozen older used disk? The big deal was the 25 ½ foot disk with black cone blades sold on last Friday’s sale was the highest auction price I’ve ever seen in the U.S. on a JD 230 disk.
In our www.Machinerypete.com web site’s “auction results” database I found (289) sale prices on JD 230 Disks, going back 15 years. So you can see why I think it’s pretty significant to all of sudden see the highest auction sale price we’ve ever run across in the U.S. on an item that’s been around forever.
Values are rising on good used disks and tillage equipment in general, excluding cultivators.
Don’t believe me? Ok, how about this fact on CaseIH 496 Disks: from January 1999 through November 2007 I saw a total of (5) 496’s sell at auction for $10,000 or more. Now how many 496’s would you guess I’ve seen sold for $10,000 or more since December 2007?
Older, but worth more money. Far fewer auctions around these days, so when really nice ones do show up for sale, we get higher sale prices. Like $7,100 for the JD 230 disk last Friday on the Iowa auction.
Oh, those record setting tractors on the Iowa auction? Here’s a Youtube video I posted of the 2005 JD 7820 MFWD with 560 hours as it sold last Friday:
www.Machinerypete.com (1-yr. subscription $69.95; 1-week $10):
- "Auction results" 260,361 sale price on ALL types of equipment. Updated daily
- "Upcoming auctions" free searchable list of equipment on upcoming sales
- "Dealer equip." free searchable list of equipment for sale by dealers
- "Who Makes it?" searchable database of farm equipment Mfg's
- "Classifieds" free place to list your used equipment for sale
- Machinery Pete blog...see what Pete's yakking about
- Machinery Pete's 2010 Auction Price Guide: $19.95, call 800-381-0423
- Pete's new Facebook page
- See the latest Agriculture.com columns from Pete