Resides In: Indianola, Iowa
Hometown: Rising Sun, Maryland
Education: BS Agricultural Journalism, Iowa State University
Expertise: Swine industry, farm management, and rural lifestyle
Betsy Freese was an editor at Successful Farming magazine for 37 years, retiring in 2021. She covered the swine industry for her entire career and is most known for her Pork Powerhouses report, 1994-2021. She was the founding editor of Living the Country Life, which included a magazine, TV show, website, and radio network.
Freese worked in print media, radio, digital, and television.
- 2021 Lifetime Achievement Award, AAEA the Ag Communicators Network
- 2020 Henry A. Wallace Award, Iowa State University College of Ag
- 2020 Writing Award, first place, Issues, AAEA
- 2019 Writing Award, first place, Technical Feature, AAEA
- 2019 Folio Award, Pork Powerhouses
- 2018 Folio Award, Saving the Worst Hog Farm in the U.S.
- 2017 Folio Top Women in Media, Industry Leader
- 2015 AAEA President’s Award
- AAEA Writer of Merit
- AAEA Master Writer
- Oscar in Agriculture
BS, Ag Journalism, Iowa State University