3 slow-cooker soups
Slow-Cooker French Onion Soup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 large yellow onions (about 2-1/2 pounds), sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup sherry
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 7 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices French bread, cut diagonally 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Emmental or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Cook onions, covered, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle onions with sugar and continue cooking, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sherry and salt and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot, 1 minute. Transfer onions to a slow cooker and stir in broth, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on Low 6 hours. Discard bay leaf.
- About 10 minutes before serving, set broiler rack about 8 inches from heat source and preheat broiler. Arrange bread slices on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil bread until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Toss together cheeses in a bowl. Top each toast with 2 tablespoons cheese mixture and broil until cheese is lightly browned and bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes.
Nutritional information: 355 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 15 g carbohydrates, 561 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 36 g protein
Slow-Cooker Corn and Crab Chowder
- 2 - 14.5-ounce cans low-sodium, 99 percent fat-free chicken broth (3-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 pound all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 5 ears corn on the cob, husks removed
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 - 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 - 8-ounce container pasteurized crab claw meat
- Combine chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, thyme and Old Bay in a large oval slow cooker. Place corn on the cob on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- In a bowl, stir together red pepper, evaporated milk, cornstarch and salt.
- Uncover slow cooker and remove corn to a cutting board. Stir red pepper mixture into slow cooker, replace cover and cook on either HIGH or LOW for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, when cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs. Stir corn kernels and crabmeat into soup and heat through. Serve warm.
Number of Servings: 4
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 340 calories, 5 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 54 g carbohydrates, 921 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein
Slow-Cooker Baked Potato Soup
- 3-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Combine potatoes, red pepper and broccoli in slow-cooker bowl. Pour broth over top; cover and cook 3 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, stir together half-and-half, 1/3 cup sour cream, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Remove cover and mash potatoes slightly. Stir in half-and-half mixture and scallions. Spoon soup into bowls.
- Divide bacon among bowls and dollop each with sour cream. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, if desired.
Number of Servings: 8
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 195 calories, 4 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 30 g carbohydrates, 764 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein