ACORN SQUASH WITH RUSTIC RAISIN SAUCE
Nonstick cooking spray
1 11⁄4 -lb. acorn squash (1 medium) or other small winter squash
1⁄8 tsp. salt
1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1⁄3 cup raisins
2 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. apple pie spice
Reserve for use before serving:
2 Tbsp. butter
4 tsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. broken pecans
Prep: 20 minutes Slow cook: 4 to 5 hours (low) or 2 to 2 1⁄2 hours (high)
- Lightly coat a 31⁄2 - or 4-qt. slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Cut squash into four wedges, discarding stem, seeds, and strings. Sprinkle cut sides of squash with salt; set aside.
- In the prepared slow cooker combine onion, raisins, water, and apple pie spice.
- Place squash wedges, cut sides down, on top of onion mixture, making sure that an edge of each squash wedge touches the onion mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 21⁄2 hours.
- Place the squash wedges, cut sides up, on serving plates. Stir butter, honey, and vanilla into onion mixture in slow cooker. Spoon onion mixture over squash wedges. Sprinkle with pecans.
Number of servings: 4