Red velvet cake roll
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Separate eggs. Allow egg whites and yolks to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper or parchment paper; grease paper. Set pan aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon color. Gradually add 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating on high speed until sugar is almost dissolved. Beat in food coloring.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In another mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently just until combined. Spread batter evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a clean kitchen towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Remove waxed paper. Roll towel and cake into a spiral, starting from a short side of the cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a medium bowl fold together dessert topping, sour cream, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with filling to within 1 inch of the edges. Roll up cake; trim ends. Cover and chill for up to 6 hours. Sprinkle cake with additional powdered sugar.
Number of Servings: 10
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 144 cal., 4 g Fat, total (2 g sat. fat), 78 mg chol., 24 g carb., 72 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 18 g sugar, 3 g pro.