Farm Succession Strategies: 8 Ways to Communicate Successfully
The struggling farm economy means that farm transfers from one generation to the next may be happening in a sped-up process, instead of over several years. Good communications is vital. Loss of communication leads to lack of trust and can eventually lead to devastating consequences.
READ MORE: 20 Strategies That Farmers Can Use In 2020
Here are eight tips from the University of Minnesota to follow when having those tough discussions:
- When speaking, be brief and be specific.
- Don’t accuse, insult, or blame.
- Don’t label, moralize, or judge your business associates.
- Try to be positive, constructive, and willing to compromise.
- When listening, listen intently. Focus and try to understand what is being said. Try to interpret it as the speaker intended.
- Disregard negative statements. Paraphrase what you hear. Find points of agreement and state them.
- Explain your motives honestly and truthfully.
- Apologize when needed and admit your mistakes.