You are here
Deadlines for farmland leases
These are dates farmers need to know about for lease renewal.
Here are deadlines for lease changes and terminations for key Midwest states:
- Illinois: four months before the end of the lease.
- Indiana: three months before the end of the lease
- Iowa: September 1
- Kansas: unless specified by a written contract, leases run March 1 to March 1. Changes to a lease are required to either tenant or landowner at least 30 days prior to March 1.
- Michigan: as indicated by terms of the lease document
- Minnesota: Three months before the end of the lease, or a preset termination date in the lease document
- Missouri: 60 days before the end of the lease, or as indicated by terms of the lease document
- Nebraska: Six months in advance of termination date, or a preset termination date in the lease document.
- Ohio: an oral agreement to rent farmland is a year-to-year lease that terminates at the end of each year unless the parties agree to an extension. Precedent in Ohio indicates no advance notice of termination is necessary.
- South Dakota: oral agreements are year-to-year, automatically renewing under the same terms. A landlord must give notice on or before Sept. 1 to terminate, or it will be automatically renewed. If terminated in a timely fashion, the termination date is March 1.
- Wisconsin: 90 days before the end of the lease
Read more about