You are here
5 Financial Steps to Take This Month
1. Write a summary of what happened on your farm this growing season. This helps you think through decisions.
2. Update your operating budget. Compare what you planned to spend for seed, fertilizer, crop protections, etc., and what you actually paid. Make per-acre adjustments based on actual acreage. Update yield projections. Reassess your break-even price per bushel.
3. With an adjusted breakeven, review and update your marketing plans. Have you locked in higher prices? Do you need to sell less or more?
4. Update your financial projections. In addition to cash flow and income statement, update balance sheet projections.
5. Use the updated information to have constructive conversations with trusted advisers.
Tip of the Day
Overall health and consistency is key for growth and development of your crops. However, during some years, growth may be short due to poor... read more