You are here
$40 a pig to help cover disposal costs for Iowa producers
Today, Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds directed in her public health emergency declaration that the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) should provide financial assistance on disposal costs for livestock producers who have had to euthanize market-ready hogs.
The dollars for the program come from Iowa's Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act money provided by the federal government in March.
Here are some key points about the Iowa Disposal Assistance Program:
- IDALS is offering $40 per approved animal to help cover disposal costs
- Market-ready pigs are those that are 225 lbs. or heavier
- Documentation required includes an electronic W9, affidavit from herd veterinarian, and proof of proper disposal
- There will be three rounds of funding assistance
- Approved applicants are guaranteed funding for up to 1,000 animals; larger numbers may be covered, depending on the number of applicants