You are here
The Greatest Deeres of All Time
1. Model A: This was the first tractor to offer a one-piece transmission case (allowing high-axle clearance) and a readily adjustable rear tread. There were 318,790 A’s sold.
2. Model 4020: This was the most popular of the revolutionary New Generation tractors with sales of more than 184,000.
3. Model D: The foundation of the two-cylinder line, the D was the longest lived Deere of all time with a 30-year run and over 105,000 units sold.
4. Model 4430: The most popular tractor of its era (over 74,000 units sold), the 4430 featured the Generation II’s innovative Sound-Guard cab.
5. Model R: This was the first Deere with a diesel engine, factory-installed cab, live PTO, and live hydraulics.
6. Model M: This lithe tractor established Deere in the small tractor market, selling more than 87,000 units thanks to its Touch-O-Matic hydraulic control.
7. Model 4850: The flagship of the 50 Series, the 4850 was the most fuel-efficient large tractor of its time and the first two-wheel-drive John Deere to break the 200-engine-hp. barrier.
8. Model 60: Besides being the first Deere (along with the 50) to offer power steering, the 60 was hugely popular with over 60,000 units sold.
9. Model 110: The first Deere with a hydrostatic transmission, the 110 garden tractor established Deere as a major player in the consumer market.
10. Model 8850: The most powerful Deere of its time (304 engine hp.), the 8850 made Deere a dominant producer of four-wheel-drive tractors.
Nominate your list of the top 10 greatest Deeres of all time by sending your selections (with supporting facts) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about John Deere's history in 100 Years of John Deere's Tractors .