Ford’s F-150 Powers Up
At first blush, it would appear that for 2017 it’s more of the same with Ford’s F-150 line – what with the company continuing to tout that truck’s high-strength and rust-free aluminum-alloy body and steel frame.
Actually, Ford has made several significant power advances to the line by introducing an all-new EcoBoost V-6 engine that turns out 10 hp. and 50 ft.-lbs of torque over the previous Ford V-6. Speaking of power, Ford also brought out a second-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine featuring a new twin port and direct-injection fuel strategy, lighter and stronger crank and valvetrain components, and redesigned twin turbochargers rigged with electronic wastegate capacity.
Transmission-wise, Ford also introduced the first 10-speed automatic in the half-ton truck market. This design features an integrated auto start/stop electronic pump and optimized EcoBoost engine power, provides closer ratios between gears, and has a patented hydraulic control.
When the new 3.5-liter EcoBoost is paired with the 10-speed tranny, the result is a best-in-V-6-engine class with 470 ft.-lbs of torque and 12,200 pounds of maximum tow capacity that beats out all gas and diesel competitors.
Following are other advances in the 2017 F-150 line.
- The SYNC Connect with FordPass, which allows smartphone users to lock and unlock doors, remote-start the truck, check fuel levels, and even locate where a vehicle is parked.
- The Blind Spot Informa-tion System signals you in the outside mirror when a vehicle is detected in a blind spot. It includes a cross-traffic alert feature that detects a vehicle passing behind when you’re backing out of a driveway.
- An STX appearance package that features 20-inch machined-aluminum wheels, black billet-style grille, and a unique interior.
Spec’ing it out
- 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 rated at 325 hp. and 375 ft.-lbs. of torque
- 3.5-liter Ti-VCT EcoBoost V-6 rated at 282 hp. and 253 ft.-lbs. of torque
- 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 rated at 375 hp. and 470 ft.-lbs. of torque
- 5.0-liter Ti-VCT V-8 rated at 385 hp. and 387 ft.-lbs. torque
- High-Output 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 rated at 450 hp. and 510 ft.-lbs. torque
- Electronic 6-speed automatic with tow-haul mode
- 6-speed SelectShift automatic with Progressive Range Select
- 10-speed SelectShift automatic with tow/haul and sport mode
SPECIFICATIONS (standard truck)
- Gross cargo weight rating: Up to 17,100 lbs.
- Cargo box volume: 52.8 cu. ft.
- Payload capacity: Up to 3,270 lbs.
- Maximum conventional towing capacity: 12,200 lbs. 3.5-liter EcoBoost with 10-speed transmission
- Bumper to bumper: 3 yrs./36,000 miles
- Powertrain: 5 yrs./60,000 miles
Starting suggested retail price by base model:
- $26,540 for standard XL model
- $31,905 for standard XLT model
- $40,065 for Lariat model
- $50,280 for King Ranch model
- $52,835 for Platinum model