Go over this pre-harvest equipment checklist now
Making a list and checking it twice can keep you and your family and employees safe. The University of Wisconsin-Madison has compiled more than a dozen farm hazard inspection checklists.
Topics include crop chemical storage, chemical application equipment, wagons and other hauling equipment, portable augers and elevators, anhydrous ammonia equipment, tillage and planting equipment, tractors, manure storage, dairy barns and milking facilities, and electrical systems.
- READ MORE: Fall harvest safety
This is an excellent time to print a harvesting equipment checklist for each piece of machinery and make sure everything is in order before the combines roll.
- READ MORE: Hydraulic safety
The checklist PDF, which has plenty of space for personalized items, includes the following questions:
- Are all belts and chains properly adjusted and shielded?
- Are the safety latch, jack stand, and/or other safety locks in working order?
- Does self-propelled equipment have a fire extinguisher? Have employees been trained to use it?
- Do all flashers and lights work? Are they clean?
- Are controls clearly marked? Do gauges work properly?
- Does each machine have an unfaded SMV emblem?
- Are warning decals clean and undamaged?
See UW-Madison's complete harvest equipment checklist and download or print all the farm hazard inspection checklists at fyi.extension.wisc.edu/agsafety/farm-hazard-inspection-checklists/.