You are here
Ford’s 2020 Super Duty Truck Reveal
Ford tipped its hat early this year recently announcing its 2020 model year F-Series Super Duty trucks.
Typically, such truck announcements represent minor tweaks made to upgrade an existing truck design. But the 2020 Ford Super Duty represents a major upgrade for that line including:
- A redesigned Power Stroke Diesel
- New TorqShift automatic transmission
- New trailering technology
Here are the details on those upgrades:
- 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel. This V-8 represents a third-generation upgrade to the Super Duty’s main workhorse engine. Improvements include a new 36,000-psi fuel injection system with all-new injectors that meter and spray up to eight times per stroke to control noise levels and optimize combustion. Other improvements include a redesigned electronic-actuated variable-geometry turbocharger, structural enhancements that increase the strength of the cylinder head, block, connecting rods, and bearings to handle higher cylinder pressure and increased output and new steel pistons that provide higher firing pressure capability.
- 7.3-liter V-8 gas engine. This is a brand-new engine, which Ford expects will be the most powerful gas V-8 in its class. The engine employs an all-new cam-in-block, overhead valve architecture with cast iron block and forged steel crankshaft for maximum durability. Port injection with variable- valve timing optimizes the intake and exhaust to match performance with workloads.
- 10-speed TorqShift automatic. Available on all Super Duty models, this brand-new tranny features a wider gear ratio span and is designed for harshest towing conditions. The transmission continues to offer a live-drive power take-off that allows the operator to engage industrial equipment and accessories with the truck in motion.
- Pro Trailer Backup Assist. This electronic advance allows the operator to employ a Pro Trailer Backup Assist knob to steer the trailer using a reverse camera. The truck’s Trailer Reverse Guidance system shows trailer angle and direction, provides steering suggestions and accommodates all trailer styles, including fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailers.
The new 2020 F-Series Super Duty trucks will start shipping to dealers this fall.