You are here
17 Things to Do While Waiting to Finish Harvest
For many farmers, the 2018 growing season is wrapping up much like it started – delayed.
A number of unseasonable weather patterns have created a stop-and-start pace for fall harvest. Parts of the Corn Belt have been hammered by historic amounts of rain. Early snowstorms have burried crops in other areas. Damaging tornadoes hit parts of the Midwest in recent weeks. Some farmers are reporting that saturated conditions have caused popped pods, mold, and sprouting in the fields.
Here are a few ways farmers can pass the time while they wait for the rain clouds to break and snow to melt.
1. Look at the bright side.
2. Have fun checking crops.
3. Surf the net.
4. Double-check that your combine is ready to run when the weather clears.
5. Get your farm equipment ready for Halloween.
6. Winterize equipment you won’t be using this season.
8. Round up your fans and space heaters.
9. Break out your umbrella and get to work.
10. Prepare for the future and start thinking about your farm’s transition plan.
11. Spend some extra time with your family.
12. Study up for your 2019 seed selection.
13. Carve a pumpkin.
14. Get creative.
15. Brush up on farm safety.
16. Make cookies.
17. Tackle a project around the farm.