Content ID


More commodities eligible for CFAP, deadline extended

USDA announced more commodities are now eligible for direct payments through the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP). The deadline to apply has been pushed back to September 11, and farmers who have approved applications will receive final payments.

“President Trump is standing with America’s farmers and ranchers to ensure they get through this pandemic and continue to produce enough food and fiber to feed America and the world. That is why he authorized this $16 billion of direct support in the CFAP program and today we are pleased to add additional commodities eligible to receive much needed assistance,” said U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue. “CFAP is just one of the many ways USDA is helping producers weather the impacts of the pandemic. From deferring payments on loans to adding flexibilities to crop insurance and reporting deadlines, USDA has been leveraging many tools to help producers.”

Additional commodities now eligible for CFAP

​The following additional commodities are now eligible for CFAP:

Specialty crops

  • aloe leaves
  • bananas
  • batatas
  • bok choy
  • carabola (star fruit)
  • cherimoya
  • chervil (french parsley)
  • citron
  • curry leaves
  • daikon
  • dates
  • dill
  • donqua (winter melon)
  • dragon fruit (red pitaya)
  • endive
  • escarole
  • filberts
  • frisee
  • horseradish
  • kohlrabi
  • kumquats
  • leeks
  • mamey sapote
  • maple sap (for maple syrup)
  • mesculin mix
  • microgreens
  • nectarines
  • parsley
  • persimmons
  • plantains
  • pomegranates
  • pummelos
  • pumpkins
  • rutabagas
  • shallots
  • tangelos
  • turnips/celeriac
  • turmeric
  • upland/winter cress
  • water cress
  • yautia/malanga
  • yuca/cassava

Non-specialty crops and livestock

  • liquid eggs
  • frozen eggs
  • all sheep (Previously only lambs and yearlings were eligible.)


  • catfish
  • crawfish
  • largemouth bass and carp sold live as foodfish
  • hybrid striped bass
  • red drum
  • salmon
  • sturgeon
  • tilapia
  • trout
  • ornamental/tropical fish
  • recreational sportfish

Nursery crops and flowers

Farmers Who Have Already Applied for CFAP

Farmers who have already applied initially recieved 80% of their payment to ensure the availability of funding. Now, the Farm Service Agency (FSA) will automatically issue the remaining 20% of the calculated payment to eligible producers.

Going forward, producers who apply for CFAP will receive 100% of their total payment when their applications are approved.

Farmers Who Wish to Apply for CFAP

Farmers who have not worked with FSA before are encouraged to call 877/508-8364 to begin the application process. An FSA staff member can help producers start their application during the phone call.

Eligibility forms, including those related to adjusted gross income and payment information can be downloaded from Existing FSA customers likely already have these documents on file.

The deadline to apply for CFAP has been extended by two weeks to September 11, 2020.

Read more about

Talk in Marketing

Most Recent Poll

To meet my machinery needs in the next year, I’m

holding off on buying and working with what I have
43% (33 votes)
I just want to see the responses
28% (21 votes)
looking online for deals
13% (10 votes)
sticking to my dealership
9% (7 votes)
hitting the auction market
7% (5 votes)
Total votes: 76