Case IH Unveils Trident 5550 Combo Applicator
The latest innovation from Case IH, the Trident 5550 liquid/dry combination applicator, gives growers and commercial applicators a single piece of machinery that can meet the demands of fertilizer and crop-protection applications.
“Efficient use of capital and resources is a priority for everyone in agriculture these days,” says Mark Burns, Case IH application equipment marketing manager. “So is timely application and nutrient delivery. The Trident 5550 combination applicator delivers on both fronts.”
Designing a true combination applicator from the ground up was at the top of the priority list for the Wisconsin-based company.
“Other so-called combination applicators simply are adaptations of an existing spray rig or other application equipment,” he explains. “The Trident 5550 is an all-new, single-chassis applicator that quickly converts from liquid to dry and back to liquid, making it a valuable piece of equipment across three seasons of use.”
Ensuring a fast changeover for the Trident 5550 starts with the new Case IH Aerial Lift Device.
“A combination applicator that takes several employees the better part of the day to convert isn’t a true combination applicator,” says Burns. “We’ve switched the Trident 5550 from liquid to dry in as little as 42 minutes with three people — and that was outside using a telescoping telehandler.”
The liquid system features the latest Case IH application technology, including AIM Command FLEX. This advanced spray technology delivers in three key ways. It offers:
- Precise product flow and spray pressure.
- Efficient, effective applications by eliminating overapplication and underapplication.
- Turn compensation for accurate, precise application across the boom, even around corners or on contours.
Multiple Options Available
An optional New Leader NL4500T G4 Edge variable-rate dry nutrient applicator and a new level of precision dry production application is available for the Trident 5550.
“The NL4500T G4 Edge uses patented precision spinner technology,” says Burns. “It spreads dry product faster, wider, and more consistently. And it does so with outstanding flexibility.”
The MultiApplier option increases productivity by allowing application of two dry products simultaneously or independently at straight or variable rates in one pass.
“Micronutrients continue to gain popularity,” he explains. “The MultiBin option increases application options to four products in a single pass. That means fewer trips across the field for reduced soil compaction, labor, and fuel consumption.”
A Smooth Ride
“Since the new chassis on the Trident 5550 can carry liquid or dry application systems, it requires a suspension package capable of carrying high-capacity loads and applying those loads over a wide range of speeds,” says Burns.
The solution: an exclusive new load-compensating suspension. The system features a pneumatic cylinder at each suspension joint to help maintain ride quality and load leveling. An engine-powered air compressor supplies air to the cylinder, which automatically adjusts according to operating mode and load weight.
Enhanced Applicator Features
Other features of the Trident 5550 liquid/dry combination applicator include:
- High-capacity productivity. It provides the capacity necessary for long run times between fills. The liquid system has a 1,400-gallon tank, and the NL4500T G4 Edge offers a bin up to 330 cubic feet.
- Easy axle adjustment. Operators can quickly and easily adjust axle settings in ½-inch increments right from the cab.
- Surveyor cab. Choose between the luxury or the deluxe Case IH Surveyor cabs, which include features and options designed to keep operators productive.
- Automatic and in-cab adjustments. Load-compensated suspension, independent axle adjustments, and an optional automated rinse feature help reduce operator fatigue and increase productivity.
- Efficient power. With 390 engine hp., the Trident 5550 is the highest horsepower, high-clearance combination applicator available.
- Hydrostatic drive for complete control. Whether in the field or in transit, operators can infinitely adjust speed and maintain appropriate load:speed ratios with the in-cab speed control knob.
- Integrated precision farming technology. This machine is loaded with technology and brings together all that the Case IH Advanced Farming Systems (AFS) has to offer including AccuBoom, AutoBoom, and AccuGuide.
“Compaction is a big concern these days,” says Burns. “A larger footprint on the ground can help make wet fields more accessible and reduce soil compaction.”
A first for applicators, the Trident 5550 features factory-available duals in row-crop tire sizes (20-, 22-, and 30-inch spacing). Various tire options help operate across three seasons in myriad ground conditions, crop types, and sprayer or spreader configurations.
A machine with a basic chassis with both the liquid and dry options lists for around $400,000.
For more information, contact your Case IH dealer or visit caseih.com.