Lindsay's FieldNet Advisor Optimizes Irrigation
FieldNET Advisor by Lindsay uses patented technology to deliver information farmers need to make faster, better-informed irrigation decisions.
“FieldNET Advisor is a game-changer for growers and the irrigation industry,” says Brian Magnusson, vice president of technology products at Lindsay Corporation. “This innovative solution uses FieldNET’s industry-leading remote irrigation management platform to drastically simplify and automate the use of proven irrigation scheduling methods, which are backed by more than 40 years of research, to help growers decide precisely when, where and how much to irrigate.”
He adds that FieldNET Advisor provides growers with continuously updated, science-based irrigation recommendations that are customized for each field.
After the field’s crop type, hybrids and planting dates are entered, the Advisor:
- tracks the water available in the soil by combining a soil map of the field, proprietary crop canopy, and root growth models, hyper-local weather data, and the applied irrigation history.
- creates a high-resolution map that shows the amount of water available to the crop across an entire field.
- forecasts a crop’s future water needs and predicts when and where, without additional irrigation, the yield will begin to decline because of water stress. Potential yield loss is also calculated, which can vary based on a crop’s development stage and how severe the stress is.
- generates variable-rate irrigation prescriptions automatically. In addition, prescriptions are constantly updated to take into account actual and forecasted weather, changing water needs of the crop, and as-applied irrigation.
- integrates into FieldNET’s remote monitoring and control platform, which gives growers the ability to immediately put irrigation decisions into action and monitor progress.
“This incredibly powerful new tool takes the hassle out of irrigation and helps growers better optimize their irrigation management” Magnusson says. “FieldNET Advisor gives growers information that’s based on years of proven crop research to help them make better-informed decisions about when to run their irrigation systems and how much water to apply – helping improve yields while reducing overwatering and the related input costs and nutrient losses.”
If you already have FieldNET remote monitoring and control equipment installed on your pivots, there are no added hardware or sensors needed to implement FieldNET Advisor.